THE HISTORY OF THE DELAWARE STATE SOCIETY
Of THE DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution was founded on October 11, 1890, and is headquartered in Washington, D.C. The DAR is a lineage-based, non-profit, non-political volunteer women’s service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history and securing America’s future through better education for children. The DAR motto is God, Home, and Country.
In 1893, Elizabeth Clark Churchman was appointed by Governor Robert Reynolds to be the official Hostess for Delaware at the Chicago World’s fair. Her acquaintances there led her to her interest in the DAR, and her appointment as organizing state regent of Delaware on April 5, 1894. The first of the five chapters she established was the Cesar Rodney Chapter NSDAR, which she organized in 1895.
The Delaware State Society of the DAR was not formally founded until January 7, 1908, at a meeting held in the New Century Club in Wilmington. At this organizing meeting officers were elected and committees were formed, including a committee to draft the by-laws. Following the organization of the State Society, four more chapters were formed. Mrs. Churchman remained state regent until April 25 1906. Of these nine original chapters we still have six strong active chapters that have contributed much to the National Society and to the community. The Delaware Daughters continue to encourage and promote the mission of this organization as we service our Nation.
Current Members Serving National
AMERICA 250! MEMBERSHIP TASK FORCE:
Catherine Hudson, Kristen Jones, Melissa Levy
Kathleen Dickerson, Division Vice Chair Eastern
Catherine Hudson, Division Vice Chair Eastern